Most of us consider sitting in front of a crackling fire as a cherished part of the winter months. However, even the joy of a warm, cozy fire can be ruined by uninvited pests! Last week we discussed the potential pest situations when it comes to your fireplace. This week we want to take a closer look at the firewood that is piled in your yard. This area can be a serious pest hideout and haven. Here are a few suggestions to ensure that you are doing everything possible to control the pests that may be attracted to your firewood stack so they don’t find a way inside your home.
- Location of Firewood Stack – Pest experts suggest keeping a firewood pile away from structures such as your home, garage, or shed. Keep wood away from buildings to stop pests from tunneling directly from the wood pile into the structure. We also suggest not putting your wood pile under trees that may harbor pests such as beetles that could easily find their way into your wood. Finally, keep wood off the ground to keep it from getting wet. Moisture encourages pests. Try putting the wood up on concrete blocks or pallets to allow for airflow below the stack.
- Practice First in First Out – Use the oldest wood first, restacking the pile periodically. This will help to keep pests at a minimum as you are not allowing infestations to build up.
- Check for Surface Pests – Before bringing any wood inside your home, check for any visible surface pests. Brush them off or bang them against the ground to shake them free. While you may not be able to see any pests that have burrowed inside the wood, at least take care of any that you can see.
- Only take in the amount of wood you will need. Bringing heavy wood into a home is no fun chore, so some homeowners consider hauling in a large load once and using when needed. We suggest only bringing in what you will burn for the night to keep out any pests that could emerge with the heat of your home.
- Use only local firewood. This will help avoid bringing non-native pests into our region.
Do you have questions about how to control the pests in and around your firewood stack? Call Pro-Tech Lawn Care at (603) 382-9644 or Toll Free: (800) 313-4733, and visit our website.