Every Saturday and Sunday we see our neighbors going at it, mowing and trimming their lawns. They all seem to be doing it pretty much the same way. Why is it, then, that some lawns look picture-perfect while others just don’t. Is there some magical secret that some people follow when mowing? Probably not, since lawns are dependent on many factors including: sunlight, water, nutrients, aeration, fertilization, oxygenation, and the list goes on. Mowing is another factor that can help make a property look its best. Here are some ideas to help you Mow the Right Way and get your lawn looking amazing.
- Keep your Equipment Running Well – It is hard to do a great job caring for your lawn if your trimmers, mower, and lawn tools are not at their best. Get a check up at a local hardware store where they can examine spark plugs, oil, blade sharpness, and general running of the motor. A healthy mower can only help you during the growing season.
- Mow when it is time. This means that several things should be taken into account. For example: don’t mow when the grass is wet. Mow when the grass is dry. The blades will be upright and less likely to clump when cut. Also avoid mowing in the heat of the day to prevent heat stress on your grass and yourself.
- Change the mowing patterns regularly. This keeps the grass from bending too much the in direction that you mow. Instead switch it up a bit each time to avoid grass bending and ruts in the lawn where you commonly mow.
- Stick to the ⅓ Rule of mowing. Never cut off more than one third of the grass at one time to reduce injury to the crown and generate new growth.
- Consider not bagging the clippings when you mow. The clippings can serve as a great organic addition to your lawn.
Is your lawn still not as green, lush, or beautiful as your neighbors’ lawns? Find out why by calling Pro-Tech Lawn Care at (603) 382-9644 or Toll Free: (800) 313-4733, or visit our website.