When it comes to lawn care and closing up shop for the winter, winterizing or doing a winter “blow out” of your sprinkler or irrigation system should be a top priority. Most irrigation systems are “out of sight”, but they should most definitely not be “out of mind” this fall. All systems should have a professional blow out, a manual drain, or an automatic drain job performed in order to ensure the system remains in good working condition come springtime. Here are a few of the reasons why winterizing your irrigation system is so important…
- Freezing Temperatures Can Damage Irrigation Systems – We all learned in school that water expands as it freezes. This means that if an irrigation system has even a little water left in it, it could freeze and cause some serious damage to the entire system. Water left in the system could cause fittings, sprinklers, valves, pumps, pipes, and other parts of irrigation systems to burst and break.
- Insurance and Warranty Issues – If a blow out or other winterization process is not performed correctly on your system, you may be voiding any warranty on your irrigation system, especially those that specifically require winterization for refund or possibly insurance coverage purposes.
- Time and Money Savings – The cost of replacing or repairing an irrigation system that was not properly winterized is exorbitant compared to the price of a blow out. Most new irrigation systems cost around of five thousand dollars depending on the type and size of your yard. Add that to the hassle and time inconvenience of having to repair a burst valve, sprinkler or, worse yet, a flooded basement, then the choice is easy.
Call Pro-Tech Lawn Care if you have any questions regarding your lawn and preparation for the winter season at (603) 382-9644.
Pro-Tech Lawn Care services provide spring start-ups, mid-season maintenance checks, and fall winterizing services for sprinkler or irrigation systems. While we won’t rush ourselves to winter just yet, we do want to discuss our spring and summer services in case you have yet to open your system or need some routine maintenance on your system. Here are our tips on maintaining your irrigation system or sprinkler system this year.
- Spring – After a long cold winter you may notice that your lawn is going to need some TLC to get it back to the lush healthy look it had last year. Part of that process is opening your irrigation system. Spring is the perfect time to check your sprinkler system for peak summer performance. As part of our start up service we will check and prime the mainline, test controller operation, identify needed repairs or leaks, check operation of each zone and sprinkler head, and calibrate the rain sensor and run timer. In short, we will get your system up and running properly.
- Summer – As spring turns to a hot, dry summer, your system may need adjustments or maintenance for any issues that could occur. Our maintenance visits may include: resetting the controller, checking for system leaks, cleaning out overgrowth around heads, ensuring rotors are turning properly, and/or leveling heads and diagnosing system repairs.
- Winterization – We will be discussing winterization in more detail in a few short months when it’s time for blow outs and shutting down the system before the cold of winter sets in. This winterization is your best protection from freezing pipes or damage due to falling temperatures.
Call Pro-Tech Lawn Care for all your irrigation system needs all year long.
Do you have an irrigation system and need to get prepared for the spring and summer watering seasons? The winter can be rough on sprinkler heads and equipment so think ahead with Pro-Tech Lawn Care’s irrigation readiness services. We can take care of your irrigation startups, repairs and blow outs before nice weather really arrives.
Startups – At the beginning of each warm season it is a smart idea for homeowners to have a professional take a look at their irrigation or sprinkler system. Technicians can make sure that everything is running properly and adjust the system so it will maximize water efficiency. A thorough inspection can ensure that you won’t have problems as the weather improves. Finding out about an irrigation problem in the dog days of summer could be disastrous!
Sprinkler System Blowouts – In addition to a spring startup, we offer a fall blow out to ready your system for the winter. In this process we drain the pipes inside the house connected to your sprinkler system and blow out all sprinkler zones outside in the yard. This ensures that no water is left in the system that could freeze and damage the system.
Repairs – It is not uncommon to have equipment such as sprinkler heads, valves and other equipment need repairs or adjustments both after a long winter of snow and freezing precipitation and right at the close of fall to ready the machinery for the winter.
Do you need to get your irrigation system in shape for the spring and summer? Call Pro-Tech Lawn Care for expert technical inspections, repairs, startups and blow outs.